Action shots videos are some of the hardest shots to take no matter what type of camera you are using. They require precision, accuracy and patience as well.
If you are to capture a moment in action play then you will need a good camera for action shots. Action shots are found mainly in sports plays and in movies action.
In action play, things move really fast such that if you are not careful you may not be able to capture the “real moments” in the play.
It is for this reason that action cameras are important. Finding the best of these can be a challenge though. The market is flooded with such products but finding the “real thing” for your specific needs is not easy.
We have therefore developed a comprehensive guide that will help you select the best camera for action shots.
Consider This When Buying a Camera for Action Shots
- Field of View. A good action camera should have a wide field of view to capture videos accurately and immensely. Immensely in the sense that it is able the capture a lot of details at a particular scene.
The size of the field of view should be approximately 140 degrees which is almost equal to the human eye field of view.
- Stability and Strength. Action play can get rough at times and the camera may fall victim to this roughness. It is therefore vital that you pick an action camera that is tough enough such that should it fall or get hit, it will still be able to function optimally.
Action cameras are special types of cameras that are designed to take videos of action play. They are small and they can easily be strapped on your helmet as you engage in the activities that you like.
They are tiny and light in weight so as not to offer you any distraction. They can be strapped on your helmet, surf board or on the edge of your car as you hike, climb, surf or swim.
They capture high definition videos of you partaking in these activities thereby giving you the chance to relive them at a later date.
Top 5 Cameras for Action Shots
1. GoPro Camera HERO3+
If you are looking for the best action camera then look no further than the GoPro Camera HERO3+ Silver Bundle (Silver). And why is that?
It has a water proof casing that make it appropriate for water sports such as surfing and under water diving. It is small and light weight than other similar devices and you therefore do get tired or distracted when one of these is strapped on you.
It captures videos in 1080p format and it offers two times image processing capabilities than other action cameras.
Its battery life is long enough to allow you to enjoy you sport as you take HD videos of your activity. Try it today for the best action shots.
- Comes with a battery and charger bundle
- Improved image and video quality over the Hero3
- Improved battery life
- Excellent build quality
- Faster WiFi connectivity than predecessor
- Set includes a WiFi remote control
- Waterproof up to 40 meters with the case
- Complicated menu navigation
- Set up takes so much time
- More expensive than other options
- Requires a USB adapter for an external microphone
2. Canany Waterproof Sports
Canany WIFI Waterproof Sports Action Camera is one of the best cameras for action shots in the market.
It offers a wide angle capture of about 170 degrees and this ensures that most of the things in your view.
It comes with two rechargeable batteries should it run out of power. It also has a 2.0 inch LCD screen display to view the images and videos it has captured.
And one more thing; it is build durable and strong so as to withstand extreme weather conditions and tough environments.
Buy one of these today and strap it on your helmet as you enjoy your favorite outdoor activity.
- Excellent for action shots
- Includes two rechargeable batteries
- Waterproof up to 30 meters with the included case
- Comes with universal mounts
- Wide field of view
- Durable build; great for all weather conditions
- Not touchscreen
- Difficult to set up wireless connectivity
3. GoPro Hero4
Action cameras do not get better than the GoPro HERO4 Silver. It comes with an in-built camera display for easier control and navigation.
It takes videos in 1080p format and photos in 12megapixels with a speed of close to 30 frames per second.
It also has an in-built Wi-Fi that has been synchronized with the GoPro app that allows to remotely control this device.
Try it today and capture all those daring moments in high definition.
- Allows picture taking while video recording
- Wide array of mounts and accessories
- Good audio quality
- Excellent image quality
- Professional-grade outputs
- Superior construction
- Waterproof up to 40 meters with its case
- Allows remote control through smartphones
- Comprehensive feature and function sets
- Battery gets exhausted pretty quick
- One of the more expensive options
- Needs high-capacity storage cards for plenty of high-quality inputs
- Batteries, chargers, and other accessories sold separately
4. Lightdow LD4000
The Lightdow LD4000 is another action cam that is very similar to the Canany and GoPro models included on this list. It is compact and lightweight and resembles the shape and size of the previous devices discussed.
This camera comes at a very enticing price point, yet it can provide similar results as those from more expensive competing brands. Many alternatives with the same price tag only offer 720p video quality, but the LD4000 records in 1080p. If you need an affordable pro-grade action camera, this camera is an excellent option.
Another reason to choose the LD4000 is its wide-angle 4x zoom lens. It also offers a wide field of view at 170 degrees. No matter how active a sports event may become, you will be able to capture a broad scene.
Unlike the basic GoPro variants, the Lightdow LD4000 comes with a USB charging cable and a USB wall adapter. You won’t have to worry about connecting to a PC as long as you have the charger with you at all times.
We like that the Lightdow LD4000 comes with several mounts and two batteries, making the set more versatile for almost all kinds of sporting events. That said, you have to purchase tripods, handles, and the like separately. The included mounts have universal sockets and mounting points that make them useful for various stands and attachments.
A drawback of the LD4000 is the lack of wireless connectivity. The only way to transfer your images and videos to a different mobile device is by moving them first to a computer.
- Compact and lightweight
- Produces high-quality images
- Great for different outdoor conditions
- Comes with plenty of mounts
- Includes two batteries
- Resembles similar features from more expensive competitors
- Waterproof up to 30 meters while in its case
- Does not support wireless connections
- Takes too long to charge
- Not so durable waterproof case and lock
5. VTech Kidizoom Action Cam
When it comes to outdoor fun activities and action-packed adventures, kids are the most interested since they have the most to learn. Imagine allowing them to capture precious moments and record valuable discoveries along their way to exploring the outdoors.
Wouldn’t it be great to get insights from your kids just by looking at their photos and videos?
The VTech Kidizoom Action Cam is a simplified version of the more complicated GoPro Series cameras. It enables little photographers and videographers to document their adventures with easy-to-understand controls and a 1.4-inch colored LCD. Since it is durable enough to handle drops and bumps, it is an excellent first video camera for very active kids.
The accessories include a bike mount, a flat mount, a universal mounting attachment, a waterproof case, and a camera holder. You will also find a wrist strap and some double-sided adhesive tape strips.
Aside from taking photos and recording videos, this kiddie camera allows the creation of stop-motion time-lapse videos. It also enables your kids to explore their creativity using frames, fun effects, and photo filters.
This device requires a microSD card to store videos and photos. The included USB cable lets your child download their snapshots and recordings onto a computer for sharing with friends and family. Your child can use this camera for taking photos even without an SD card. It has a 128MB internal memory that holds the program data, allowing the storage of several images.
As an extra feature, the kiddie action cam has three fun learning games pre-installed into the device.
- Excellent first camera for kids
- Durable and waterproof up to six feet
- Highly immersive for kids
- Improves your kids’ creativity
- Adds fun to exploration
- Low image and video quality
- Short battery running time
The Bottom Line
If quality and long-term durability is your focus and money is not a problem, you should get the GoPro Hero4. However, if you want to save on expenses and need something reliable, the best camera for action shots is the GoPro Hero3+.
The good thing about this Hero3+ offering is its accompaniment of a battery and charger bundle. This addition means you will have two batteries and a charger that can charge them simultaneously.
Since the Hero3+ can charge the battery internally through USB, it does not usually have a charger and an extra battery. This bundle comes at a reasonably lower price compared to purchasing each item separately.
If, however, you’re looking for an action cam for your kids, any GoPro model can be too fiddly for them. The VTech Kidizoom should be enough for an entry-level camera for kids ages four and up.