If you are on the lookout for an amazing video camera that lets record long and high quality videos stop right here. Even though the demand for this kind of products is not that big the market still offers a wide array of different models.
This guide will show you what the best prosumer video camera is considering the features, the price tag and the performance. On top of this we will show why these things are important.
Consider When Buying a Prosumer Video Camera
- Comfort. Despite the fact modern prosumer video cameras are not as heavy as they used to be few decades ago you still can’t hold it in your hands for a long time. Being able to record with it place on your shoulder will allow you have smooth videos and will prevent the shaky hands effect.
- Performance. The overall performance of the camera depends a lot on its hardware capabilities. Unlike photography cameras a prosumer video camera doesn’t require much skill in order to deliver high quality videos. Even in the hands of a pro a poor quality video camera won’t do much.
- Price. Prosumer video cameras cost a lot more than digital cameras do, however, this shouldn’t be a reason for spending a whole fortune. After all, next year there will be a better one and you will want to get your hands on it. If you are a professional cameraman this criterion is irrelative to you.
- Durability. Optical devices are fragile including the body and what’s inside of it. Going for a cheap poorly made product usually ends badly. If use the camera up to its full potential it won’t last long. Paying the extra dollars for this purpose only can be worthwhile.
Top 5 Best Prosumer Video Cameras
1. Canon XA20 Professional Camcorder
Canon is one of the best-established manufacturers of optical devices. The XA20 is by far the best prosumer video camera money can buy without breaking your bank. It has premium features and it won’t cost you that much.
You can zoom up to a factor of 20 so you can record your videos from considerable distance. It records in Full HD 1080p at a rate of 60fps. Videos with these preferences are smooth and crystal. It has a 3.09 MP HD CMOS sensor and the new DIGIC 4 image processor. Recording videos with a lot of moving objects is not an issue for the Canon XA20.
You can have the camera on your shoulder during recording or you can hold it with your hands to create some cool looking videos. It’s light as a feather.
Once you’re finished with the recording you can transfer the videos wirelessly directly to your PC or share them on the internet right away. It has infrared shooting mode if you are in extreme low-light environment.
- Outstanding video quality
- Incredible image stabilization
- Lifelike imagery
- Reduces excessive smoothing
- Lacks slow-motion versatility
- Built-in battery lacks capacity
2. Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder
The XA-11 is another great product designed and delivered by the Japanese manufacturer. Even though it’s been available on the market for several years it’s still a favorite of a huge number of pros and recreational individuals.
The videos recorded with this prosumer video camera can have a maximum resolution of 1920×1080 at few different fps rates. Unlike the XA20 the XH-A1S is equipped with an advanced HD CMOS Pro image sensor with improved low-light performance. The Wide DR Gamma and Highlight Priority modes help ensure a natural range of tones and colors for realistic and eye-catching results. It offers limitless possibilities in terms of customization. It may take you some time to master it, but once you do your videos will be superb.
The 3.0 inch display gives you the opportunity to see what exactly you are recording and how that looks like. You won’t need any considerable video edits afterwards.
- High-quality lens
- Easy to use for beginners
- Multiple XLR inputs
- Many adjustable recording options
- Significant battery limitations
- Lacks aperture versatility
3. Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder
Canon seems to dominate the prosumer market with its astounding products. Last but by all means not least is the predecessor of the XA20. The XA10 may not have stunning hardware capabilities, but it’s still a beast.
It’s equipped with a fairly outdated DIGIC 3 image processor, but it’s still goes a long way. The lens in combination with 2.3 MP sensor let you record Full HD videos with resolution of 1920 x 1080. You can manually control the zoom which makes the XA10 quite versatile.
It lacks other supporting features like built-in Wi-Fi, infrared mode and preset settings. Bottom line is it performs a lot worse than the XA20. However, at the time of its release it was at the zenith of its popularity. Based on these arguments we have it ranked on the 3rd place on our best prosumer video camera list.
- Convenient XLR attachment
- High-quality imagery
- Ideal for low-light recording
- Impressive color reproduction
- Poor tactile touchscreen
- Loud handling noises
4. Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Camcorder
The Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Camcorder is a versatile professional-grade camcorder with many user-friendly features. It boasts simultaneous SD/HD recording as well as built-in GPS for added functionality. With its AVCHD format, it’s one of the more modernly designed professional camcorders on the market.
There’s no doubt the AVCHD format built into this camera is one of its most impressive features. It allows you to record for longer using standard consumer memory cards, ideal for long events. You’ll also have access to hybrid recording, allowing you to capture HD and SD video simultaneously.
If you’re looking for a significant upgrade to your existing camcorder, this model is recommended. It has a G Lens, one of the most successful lenses used within Sony camcorders, offering sophistication. The advanced image sensor and image processing technology allow you to capture clear and crisp videos with ease.
As another benefit, you’ll find Exmor CMOS sensors integrated into the camera, along with the ClearVid array. The three-sensor system is phenomenal for accessing a higher level of sensitivity as well as high-resolution recordings. You’ll also be able to take advantage of remarkable color reproduction, regardless of the codec you’re using.
One of the more unique features of the Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Camcorder is its geotagging component. Using this function, you can geotag videos captured in specific locations around the world. You’ll find this feature is particularly convenient if you enjoy traveling since you can never forget where your memories were captured.
- Razor-sharp video
- Easily tuned focusing ring
- Allows for manual exposure control
- Quickly mounted on tripods
- Feels slightly hollow
- The LCD could be sharper
5. Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K Video Camera
Having the opportunity to record your favorite moments in 4K is something every family desires. This camera is ideal whether you’re capturing a birthday party or recording a tutorial for your YouTube channel. With a more compact design compared to other professional camcorders, you’ll love the Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K Video Camera.
As mentioned, the most notable component of this camera is that it allows for 4K video recording. You’ll be able to record videos in 4K at up to 30fps, which is far more impressive than HD resolution.
When using the high-frame-rate shooting option, you can record at 120p, ideal for action shots. The lifelike quality of your videos will be a significant improvement from your existing setup.
This camera features a one-inch Exmor R CMOS sensor, offering direct pixel readouts. You’ll find that when reviewing your footage, all of the pictures move seamlessly without tearing.
Another convenience of the Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K Video Camera is its design for videos and photos. You’ll have a fully versatile camera in your hands, as you can capture 14mp resolution videos and 20mp resolution pictures. With the integrated BIONZ X image processing engine, peerless quality images will be produced.
Fortunately, you can easily capture events up close or further away, thanks to the fixed zoom lens. You can opt to manually adjust the zoom or use its automatic function to find the ideal difference. Also, when recording videos from afar, you’ll find the monaural speaker relays audio significantly clearer.
- Integrated image stabilization
- Remarkable high-resolution video
- Works well in dark and bright conditions
- Highly adjustable settings
- Slow autofocus
- Too small LCD
Prosumer Video Camera FAQs
1. What Are Prosumer Cameras?
Prosumer cameras are a blend of consumer and professional cameras, offering an assortment of features. You’ll typically find they have higher-quality imagery with user-friendly functions, ideal for intermediate photographers. Also, you’ll find they have a significantly lower price tag than many professional camcorders.
2. What Are Professional Video Cameras Used For?
Professional video cameras are used for an assortment of purposes. You can use them to film weddings, wildlife excursions, or even family events. Anything that requires a higher image and video quality can benefit significantly from professional camcorders.
3. Who Makes the Best Prosumer Camcorder?
Many notable manufacturers make well-designed prosumer cameras. One of the most popular brands is Sony, as they have experience with consumer and professional cameras. You’ll find their products have a streamlined user interface paired with high-quality functions.